As I begin this post, I must stress that I am incredibly impressed with the initial versions of Adobe Touch apps on the Android Market. I have obtained Proto, Photoshop Touch, Ideas, Kuler, and Debut. I make the assumption that these apps will be updated at some point in the future. As an educator, These are some of the things I would like to see in the way of enhancements. In my opinion, these improvements would make these products even better. I welcome your comments as I am curious if I am on the right track or have missed something crucial. I am going to focus on Proto, Photoshop Touch, Kuler, and Ideas. I have not had sufficient time to work with Debut. My perspective on all these apps is based on my use on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.
For those who want the “Cliff Notes” version – the ability to include my own starting files and tutorials and better integration between the Touch Apps would be key points.
Proto improvements I would like to see.
- Integration with Adobe Fireworks. I have recommended Fireworks as a prototyping application for many years. It seems to me that there is a great possibility to use Proto as input to Fireworks, then to Dreamweaver. At least, that is the workflow I envision.
- The ability to include tutorials (in the manner of Photoshop Touch tutorials) within Proto. As an educator, it would be most helpful to students if I could show them directly within the touch app how to accomplish various tasks. If it can be done in Photoshop Touch, why not in Proto?
- The ability to import starting point (wireframes) from the Adobe Creative Cloud. Many of my students are just getting started. I would like to be able to help them better understand what wireframes are capable of (and what they are not capable of). It would be easiest if I could provide starting points (without the student having to do it all). Checkpoint files are so helpful as an educator.
- Better adoption of HMTL5 “best practices.” For example, instead of using a value attribute for form input elements, use the HTML5 attribute placeholder. Also include a form element when a form object is placed on the page (or at least when form objects are grouped together).
Photoshop Touch improvements I would like to see.
- The ability to add my own tutorials. The ones provided are great as a starting point. As an educator, I would really like to be able to build on these. For example, I would like to include an entire section on copyrights directly within the app. I know this is obvious to professionals, but this is something educators must stress repeatedly to students.
- Additional capabilities (like red eye removal). There are a number of great features already included and this is one I think should also be there by default (unless I missed it).
- Better integration with other Touch Apps. For example, I can see a file created in Ideas in the Creative Cloud, but I can not directly import the contents into a new Photoshop Touch image. With Ideas, I can include a psdx file or ideas file from the Creative Could. Seems like this should go both ways between these apps.
Ideas improvements I would like to see.
- It would be great to be able to include additional layers. Yes, I can switch images in the photo layer, but having multiple photo layers active and multiple drawing layers would allow me greater flexibility.
- The ability to manipulate lines once they are drawn. Ok, I admit it, I am spastic. Even with the smoothing algorithms, there are times when I draw a line and want to reposition a part of it. I know I can download and do this in Illustrator, but I also like to continue working in Ideas. Erasing and re-drawing can become a royal pain.
- The ability to control smoothing and snap/ completion of drawing lines. This would be similar to the capabilities that have long existed in Flash Professional.
Kuler improvements I would like to see.
- I do like this app a great deal. However, it has the same features as the online version. If there are no added features, why would the majority of people pay $9.99 (plus tax) for this app when they can use the website? In my opinion, there needs to be a clear differentiator to encourage people to use this app. Greater integration with other Touch Apps (like Photoshop Touch would be a definite plus in my opinion).
So these are my “wish list” items. In my opinion. these enhancements would greatly improve my ability to utilize and adopt these technologies in the courses I teach. I am curious what others think. Please use the comments section below to add your “two cents.” What have I overlooked? What have I misinterpreted? What would you like to see as an educator?